Author Notes: Every summer I have a bounty of zucchini from my garden. Looking for unusual ways to use it is a challenge. We love the spiciness of this casserole. —Holly Battiste
cups zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
tablespoon oilive oil
cup diced onion
clove minced garlic
tablespoons all purpose flour
cups warmed milk
cup grated Pepper Jack cheeser
cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 inch casserole
- Boil squash in water 2 to 3 minutes, until tender
- Drain and spread in casserole
- Heat butter and oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion and jalapenos until limp, about 3 min. Add garlic and saute 2 min more.
- Whisk in flour, making a roux, stirring constantly over low heat 2 to 3 min until flour is very pale gold. Whisk in milk, stir constantly until thick and bubbly, about 3 min. remove from heat and stir in cheese
- Pour sauce over squash in casserole. Top with the 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Bake uncovered 28-30 minutes until cheese is melted and browned on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash