Author Notes: Every summer I have a bounty of zucchini from my garden. Looking for unusual ways to use it is a challenge. We love the spiciness of this casserole. —Holly Battiste
cups zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
tablespoon oilive oil
cup diced onion
clove minced garlic
tablespoons all purpose flour
cups warmed milk
cup grated Pepper Jack cheeser
cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 inch casserole
- Boil squash in water 2 to 3 minutes, until tender
- Drain and spread in casserole
- Heat butter and oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion and jalapenos until limp, about 3 min. Add garlic and saute 2 min more.
- Whisk in flour, making a roux, stirring constantly over low heat 2 to 3 min until flour is very pale gold. Whisk in milk, stir constantly until thick and bubbly, about 3 min. remove from heat and stir in cheese
- Pour sauce over squash in casserole. Top with the 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Bake uncovered 28-30 minutes until cheese is melted and browned on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash