If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every summer I have a bounty of zucchini from my garden. Looking for unusual ways to use it is a challenge. We love the spiciness of this casserole. —Holly Battiste
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oilive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warmed milk
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheeser
- 1/2 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 inch casserole
- Boil squash in water 2 to 3 minutes, until tender
- Drain and spread in casserole
- Heat butter and oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion and jalapenos until limp, about 3 min. Add garlic and saute 2 min more.
- Whisk in flour, making a roux, stirring constantly over low heat 2 to 3 min until flour is very pale gold. Whisk in milk, stir constantly until thick and bubbly, about 3 min. remove from heat and stir in cheese
- Pour sauce over squash in casserole. Top with the 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Bake uncovered 28-30 minutes until cheese is melted and browned on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash