If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves 4 to 6
Caramelized Onion, Zucchini and Basil Panzanella
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 basil leaves tied with kitchen twine
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 cups stale quality bread
- balsamic vinaigrette, see recipe below
- freshly grated pecorino, for topping
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Spread alternating layers of onions and salt, like lasagna, in the skillet. Continue this process until there are no more onions or salt. Top with the bundle of tied basil.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the onions until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Place the bread, caramelized vegetables, chopped basil and balsamic vinaigrette into a large bowl. Toss to evenly coat. Let the salad rest for 15 minutes and then serve topped with freshly grated pecorino.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl add the vinegar, lemon zest and juice, garlic and dijon, then whisk to combine.
- Next, add the olive oil; a few drops at a time, whisking constantly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash