If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Chicken soup isn't just for winter evenings and fighting the flu -- it's also a great showcase for fresh summer vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and squash. Serve with a light green salad for a weekday dinner. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/summer-chicken-and-vegetable-soup —Healthline
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, sauté onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook 4 minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil; add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Add carrot and bell pepper to simmering broth and cook for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add the zucchini and simmer 3 minutes more. Stir in the lemon zest and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Shred chicken and add to soup just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash