If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Korean Squash Jeon allows you to enjoy the yummy flavor of Squash in its simplicity. It works best with Grey Squash but any young and tender squash or zucchini will do. Salting the zucchini slices beforehand makes it have extra crunchy texture. You have to try it to really know what I mean. —JinJoo Lee
Ingredients for making Squash Jeon
- 1 piece summer squash (grey squash or italian young zucchini)
- 1 piece large egg
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch slices and lay them out on a plate.
- Lightly sprinkle cut squash/zucchini slices with good quality sea salt. Leave for 5-7 min until slices bend easily without breaking.
- Whisk egg in a shallow bowl and season lightly with salt
- Add flour to another shallow bowl. Coat each squash slices with flour on both sides.
- Heat 2 T of olive oil in a large frying pan over med high heat. Make an assembly line of the flour coated zucchinis -> beaten egg -> pan. Dip each floured zucchini piece into the egg, coat it fully and then put it in the frying pan.
- When edges start to brown, turn over. Jeon is ready when both sides are nicely browned.
Ingredients for Soy Vinegar dipping sauce
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce (dark)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon rice wine(mirin) or sake
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 piece green onion, chopped
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- Chop green onions and add all the ingredients to make the dipping sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash