If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from a recipe by Max Falkowitz on Serious Eats. —Derek Laughren
Makes 2 quarts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large zucchini, grated (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup beer, IPA
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Melt the butter in a 2 quart sauce pot. Sweat the zucchini and the salt to nearly au sec. It will look like a mushy paste. Take care not to burn as the mixture reduces.
- Transfer to a blender with the spices and whole milk. Blend until smooth. Return to the pan along with the heavy cream. Bring to just below a simmer.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale in color. Add 1/2 cup of the hot zucchini mix, whisking rapidly to incorporate. Add the yolk mixture back into the pot, whisking constantly.
- Cook over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Strain the ice cream base through a fine-meshed sieve into a stainless steel bowl and chill over an ice bath. Stir in the beer and vanilla. Churn in an ice cream maker.