If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These crispy fried potatoes are what we crave for every season, at least once per season. Sometimes we would make really thin ones, otherwise exactly these, a bit thicker. Thank you Heston Blumenthal for doing the research for us, on how to make the perfect homemade fries. In our opinion, these give a bit more of a homemade feel, but not because they would be random, and not delicious, no, no, no. Every bite represents the perfect indulgence, that our soul and body need from time to time. So here you go, our version of a perfect three stage fries. —jernejkitchen
milliliters sunflower oil
- In a large container or in a pot mix together 2 litres of cold water with salt and sugar, stir well, so that the sugar and salt dissolve completely. Peel the potatoes. Cut peeled potatoes into slices 15 mm / 0.6 inch thick. Place them in a brine. Set aside for 40 minutes.
- Turn the heat on to high, and bring the water to a boil in another pot. Meanwhile, drain off the brine and place the potatoes into a boiling water. Lower the heat and let it simmer slowly for 10 - 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and blot with paper towels to dry them, let the potatoes to cool and dry.
- Heat a large pot, filled with oil to 130 °C / 266 °F. Fry them in three batches, using a strainer gently place them in the hot oil. Fry each batch for about 8 minutes, they should be firm and golden. Lay them out on a tray, lined with a paper towel, let them cool and dry.
- Heat the same pot, filled with the same oil once again, this time to 190 °C / 375 °F. Once again fry the potatoes in three batches, using a strainer gently place them in the hot oil. Fry again for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes on paper towels to remove any excess oil. This will prevent them of becoming greasy as the potatoes cool. Season to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe