If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These vegan, chocolatey muffins are healthy enough for breakfast and indulgent enough for dessert. Top these ooey gooey muffins with a dollop of peanut butter to take it up another notch. —Kayli Dice
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with muffin cup liners.
- Prepare flax egg: combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add maple syrup, oil, applesauce, and prepared flax egg.
- Stir until just combined (be careful not to over-stir!).
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes. Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container for up to one week.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe