If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This creamy vegan soup is the perfect way to make use of summer's pepper explosion. The recipe makes enough for 6 hearty bowls of soup, so invite friends to dine with you on a cool end-of-summer evening. —Kayli Dice
Makes: 6 bowls
medium russet potatoes, roughly diced
medium yellow onion, roughly diced
cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Cashew Cheese Sauce
cup raw chashews
cup nutritional yeast
cloves garlic, peeled
- Slice jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise and carefully remove seeds and white inner membranes. Rinse with water to wash away any remaining seeds (how thoroughly you de-seed and rinse will determine hot spicy the soup is. Feel free to leave some seeds in if you like it spicy) Roughly dice the rinsed jalapenos.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot and add diced jalapenos, potatoes and onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and golden.
- While vegetables are sautéing, prepare the Cashew Cheese Sauce. In a blender, combine all ingredients with 1 cup of water. Blend until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Add vegetable broth and Cashew Cheese Sauce to the soup pot with the sautéed vegetables. Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15-20 minutes). Add more water as needed to prevent soup from becoming too thick.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup or transfer some or all of the soup to a blender to puree. (If you prefer a chunky soup with varied texture, only puree part of the soup).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe