- Serves 6
I love comfort food! But I had guests who were lactose intolerant, so I had to come up with a way to make my famous corn casserole without the animal by product. Inspired by traditional southern corn pudding recipes. —Renita Dixon
What You'll Need
2 1/2 cups
fresh corn scraped (or frozen)
plus 2 tablespoon Vegan Butter (like Earthbalance)
Curdled chilled Coconut milk
chilled coconut milk
Organic corn meal
finely chopped onion
finely chopped green pepper
Wildtree Hickory Smoked grapeseed Oil (optional)
sweetener (I like agave)
sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees
- To curdle the coconut milk: pour 1/2 cup coconut milk into a container. add 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and chill until the milk has a creamy texture (at least an hour).
- chill the other half of the can of coconut milk, until it is thick and creamy.
- add corn to a bowl (if you use frozen, thaw it an drain it).
- Melt the butter first. Add it to the corn.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix to blend.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- melt the two tablespoons of vegan butter.
- mix in the breadcrumbs.
- sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the top of the corn mixture.
- Bake on 350 until top is dry and solid to the touch (it shouldn't be shaky, but it will feel soft). Edges will be brown. 45 min to an hour.