Author Notes: Toasted almonds add a lot of flavor and texture to this light, yet chewy macaroon. Beating the egg whites stiff and gently folding the mixture together will keep the cookie lighter. —nannydeb
Makes: about a dozen
egg whites, room temperature
cup whole almonds with skins
cup powdered sugar
cup heavy cream
ounces white chocolate chips
tablespoon Amaretto di Saronno
tablespoons slivered almonds (optional)
- Set the egg whites out to bring them to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the whole almonds onto a baking sheet, single layer. Toast them in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- If you want toasted slivered almonds for garnish, spread them out on a baking sheet and toast them for 10-12 minutes. Set them aside to cool too.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you don't have parchment paper, foil will be fine.
- Grind the toasted whole almonds in a food processor. If you opted not to toast slivered almonds for the garnish, you can spoon out one or two tablespoons of the ground almonds before they are ground too fine and set them aside.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla to the ground almonds and whirl around to incorporate.
- In a metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until it forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the almond mixture into the egg whites.
- Drop the macaroon mixture from a spoon onto the parchment paper, allowing room for them to expand a little. You can also spoon the mixture into a pastry bag with a smooth tip and pipe it onto the parchment paper.
- Bake the macaroons for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let them sit for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the icing.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the cream to a simmer. Add the white chocolate chips and remove from the heat. Stir until the chips have melted. Add the Amaretto di Saronno.
- Removing the macaroons from the baking sheet, don't panic if they have become one with the parchment paper. Flip the sheet over and brush water on the back of the paper. Let this sit for two minutes and they will easily peel off.
- Drizzle the macaroons with the white chocolate Amaretto icing and garnish with toasted slivered almonds.