Author Notes: This is a genius invention from I Dream of Weenie in East Nashville, Tennessee. Once you go chow-chow, you'll never go back. If you can't find chow-chow in the store, you can order it from blackberryfarmshop.com. —HMMessinger
For the hot dog assembly:
diced red onion
hot dog buns
kosher hot dogs, grilled
pickled jalapeños (recipe follows)
For the pickled jalapeños:
cup white vinegar
tablespoons raw cane sugar
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Make the pickled jalapeños. Slice the jalapeños into small, thin rounds.
- In a small pot, heat vinegar, sugar, salt, red pepper, bay leaf, and cloves until boiling.
- Add jalapeños to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour everything into a resealable jar, making sure the pepper slices are completely submerged. Let cool completely before using.
- Twenty minutes for hotdog time, soak the diced red onions in cold water. Drain well before using.
- To assemble the Rebel Yelp, place yellow mustard on the inside of the bun, top with a grilled dog, then smother with chow-chow. End with a few pickled jalapeños and diced red onions.