Author Notes: Born of a need to use up leftover pasta, I became fully obsessed with pasta pies - so much so, that now I make them from scratch. —Erin McDowell
Makes: one 9 inch pie
pounds bucatini or other long pasta
recipe Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce (https://food52.com/recipes...)
ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, grated (as best you can, larger chunks are okay)
ounces grated Parmesan cheese
bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just under al dente (5 to 6 minutes). Drain well.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the pasta with the sauce to coat.
- Working strand by strand, form a spiral with the pasta in the base of the pan. Once you’ve built one layer, build another on top of it. In between every 2 to 3 layers, sprinkle a layer of mozzarella. Continue until you’ve used all the pasta and mozz.
- Top the final layer generously with the Parmesan. Bake until the top is golden and interior is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with basil before slicing and serving. Leftovers can keep up to 2 days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!