If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is Maharashtrian delicacy and quite common is all households, though I used to make a different version of this eggplant curry stuffing is new and it tastes just awesome. —priya
- 6-7 Eggplant small
- 1 Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
Ingredients for Stuffing:
- 2 Onions Sliced
- Curry leaves few
- 1 Ginger - inch
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1/2 Cinnamon measures in inch
- 2 Green Cardamon
- 3 Cloves
- 8 Black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons Freshly grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- Heat about 1 tbsp of oil and add coriander seeds,fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns and raw peanuts. Fry till all the spices releases nice aroma. Finally add the curry leaves
- Then add the onion sliced and saute till it is transparent and then add coconut and ginger.
- Remove from the heat, allow it to cool and grind it to a paste(not too smooth paste)
- Clean the eggplant, leave the stem intact and from the bottom , do a crisscross slice up until the neck of the stem without affecting the stem.
- Now stuff each of the egg plant with about 1 to 2 tbsp of grounded masala paste. And set aside.
- Heat around 3 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan/kadai and add red chilli powder and turmeric powder paste immediately add finely chopped onion.
- Saute till onions turns transparent, now add finely chopped tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy.
- Now add the left over masala paste and fry for few minutes. Add the eggplant and reduce the heat to low. Allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 of water and close the lid. Cook it for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the eggplant is tender and cooked through.