If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A vegan, gluten free casserole style dish that is full of comfort and end-of-season veggies. A perfect way to finish out summer.
- 2 squash (yellow)
- 2 eggplant (small)
- 2 golden heirloom tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash (large dice)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 pieces bread (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- First, assemble all of your mise en place and preheat the oven to 400 F. Start by steaming the butternut squash in a pot with the stock.
- Reserve some leaves of the basil for plating. Blend the avocado, olive oil and remaining basil until pureed. Season & set aside.
- Cut the tomato into a large dice and puree. Season & set aside.
- Once softened, puree the butternut squash with the vegetable stock, season, and set aside.
- Make breadcrumbs by blending the bread until crumbled. Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices and lightly season. dust with rice flour, then milk, then top with bread crumbs. Cook on a griddle or in a cast iron skillet until golden. Reserve on a few paper towels for assembly.
- Slice Squash 2 inches in length, but thin, noodle like thickness.
- Once your mise en place is ready to assemble, start layering! Do it however you would like and have fun with the textures and colors. Remember that you already seasoned all of the ingredients so I wouldn't do so at this stage. Once assembled, bake for 1 hour, or until the top has color and the casserole has solidified, with some give. Allow to cool for a bit before diving in! Feel free to garnish with leftover sauces and basil.