If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A classic chicken pot pie filled with seasonal fall vegetables of winter squash and kale and topped with a homemade golden crust. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk, cold
- 3 Springs thyme, leaves removed from stems
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add in butter cubes and, using your hands, work the butter into the flour until small, pea-sized clumps form. Pour in buttermilk and sprinkle in thyme. Work liquid into flour until a shaggy dough forms. Knead slightly, form into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while you make the filling. Dough can be made one day ahead of time.
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 Chicken thighs, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 White onions
- 2 Large carrots
- 4 Large garlic cloves
- 1 Small bunch kale, center ribs removed, greens chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Fresh rosemary
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1 Small to medium delicata squash, seeds removed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Large egg
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add in chicken pieces and cook until they start to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Add in carrots and cook until they soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and kale and cook until kale starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour and rosemary on top of vegetables. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until flour is well integrated. Add broth and squash, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until squash has softened.
- Return chicken to pan, stir, and season filling with salt to taste. Turn off heat.
- To Assemble and Bake: - On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13 inch round. Gently drape dough on top of cast iron pan, tucking the sides in and crimping them with a fork. Cut four 1 inch slits in the center of the dough to vent, then brush with egg wash. - Bake pot pie for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall