Author Notes: Very simple, cheap but tasty pasta with beetroots, blue cheese and ham. Takes some time for beets to cook, but requires nearly zero skill and goes well with almost all kids. Obnoxiously pink and not suitable for kids with throwing habbits. —Matias Kiviniemi
grams overcooked fatty ham as a piece
grams blue cheese (mild / medium)
large sweet onion (or several chalottes)
grams pasta (fusilli, penne, etc.)
- Dice ham and simmer on low/medium temp until golden and crispy and remove from pot. Smoky is good and should
- Peel & dice beets and put in pot. Cover with water and let boil on medium temp under lid until tender (20-30min, depends on size).
- Add pasta to pot and add water to almost cover pasta (not too much) and boil until pasta almost done (not yet al dente). Mix once and while to make sure no dry pasta remains and add a bit water if needed.
- Chop onion to large chunks and add to pot. If onion is not sweet, let cook for a few minutes.
- Dice and add blue cheese and cook until it melts. Blue cheese should not very strong or salty as it's used a lot to give creaminess (cheap is good).
- Remove from heat and add ham. Garnish with spring onion if available.