If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad takes a cue from this Carrot Avocado Salad to roast citrus with salad ingredients to build a sweet-tart dressing and finds inspiration for its ingredients and flavors in another Genius salad. Call it a Genius double whammy—or a lettuce-less salad that's hearty and bright. —Ali Slagle
- 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small kabocha squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups drained canned or home-cooked chickpeas, rubbed with towels to dry and remove rogue skins
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced (soaked in cold water for 15 minutes if you want to soften the bite)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Juice and zest one orange and halve the other.
- To a blender, add 2 teaspoons of the orange juice, the cumin, cinnamon, allspice, red pepper flakes, clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until combined, season with salt and pepper, and adjust to taste.
- In a medium bowl, combine the squash, chickpeas, marinade, and unjuiced orange halves. Spread the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, until the squash is caramelized and soft enough to eat and the chickpeas are crunchy.
- Let cool to room temp. Meanwhile, make the dressing: Whisk together the remaining fresh orange juice, the zest, 2 teaspoons apple cider, 6 tablespoons olive oil, the tahini, and the juice from the roasted oranges. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and adjust as you like.
- Transfer the vegetables to a big plate or bowl, drizzle shyly with dressing (you can always add more later), add the red onion and cilantro, toss to combine, and serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!