This is the perfect make ahead, savory brunch recipe. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes and onion bacon jam balance out the heat of chorizo, making this a satisfying and hearty brunch recipe. —Ed Duffy
Maple Onion Bacon Jam
Medium sized yellow onions, sliced
Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet Potatoes, diced in 1/2 cubes
Chorizo, fresh and out of casing
Garlic cloves, minced
In This Recipe
BACON ONION JAM:
1.Dice bacon and cook to render fat. When bacon is crisp, place bacon aside for later. Do not remove fat.
2. Add sliced onions and kosher salt to pan and cook on medium until caramelized, stirring occasionally (30+min).
3. Once onions have fully caramelized and are a dark, rich brown, add coffee, maple syrup, cumin, and cinnamon. Stir occasionally and cook until mixture is reduced to a jam-like consistency.
4. Add balsamic and orange zest and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Cool and store mixture in airtight container for up to one week.
Sweet Potato Hash:
1. Remove chorizo from casing and crumbled in a pan with olive oil. Cook until browned. Remove once fully cooked.
2. While chorizo is cooking, wash and dice sweet potatoes, but leave the skin on. Crush and mince garlic. Remove rosemary and thyme from stems, finely chop the herbs.
3. Combine olive oil, garlic, sweet potatoes, chorizo, about 8 oz or bacon onion jam, salt, and pepper in a bowl. This can be prepared and done the day before
4. Spread hash on a cast iron skillet or baking dish. Cook for 30-45 minutes in a 450 degree oven or until crisp and potatoes are browning.
5. (Optional) Crack eggs into hash and cook until eggs are done (roughly 7 minutes).