Author Notes: Homemade 3-Grain Bread —SweetSourSavory
Makes: 2 big loafs
grams compressed yeast (or 4 tablespoons dry yeast)
grams whole wheat flour
grams rolled rye
grams wheat flakes
grams Flax seeds
tablespoon vegetable oil
grams all-purpose flour
In This Recipe
- Crumble the yeast into the water and stir to dissolve.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients, and knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a stand mixer.
- Let the dough rise for 40 minutes, covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it lightly to deflate a bit. Divide the dough in 2, and form them into balls creating a taut smooth surface.
- Flip dough ball over so you have the seam on top. Fold the top ⅔ over, pressing the dough to adhere. Repeat a few times to make a log with good surface tension. Roll the log to the size of the baking sheet. Place the log/loaf on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with the second loaf.
- Let the breads rise, covered for another 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 450℉ (235℃).
- Brush the breads with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and score the breads a few times across the bread, to help with the oven spring.
- Place the breads in the oven, and just before closing the oven door, splash ¼ cup water in the bottom of the oven, and quickly close the door.
- Bake the breads for 40-45 minutes until deep golden brown. Let the breads cool before slicing.