If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Homemade 3-Grain Bread —SweetSourSavory
Makes: 2 big loafs
grams compressed yeast (or 4 tablespoons dry yeast)
grams whole wheat flour
grams rolled rye
grams wheat flakes
grams Flax seeds
tablespoon vegetable oil
grams all-purpose flour
- Crumble the yeast into the water and stir to dissolve.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients, and knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a stand mixer.
- Let the dough rise for 40 minutes, covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it lightly to deflate a bit. Divide the dough in 2, and form them into balls creating a taut smooth surface.
- Flip dough ball over so you have the seam on top. Fold the top ⅔ over, pressing the dough to adhere. Repeat a few times to make a log with good surface tension. Roll the log to the size of the baking sheet. Place the log/loaf on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with the second loaf.
- Let the breads rise, covered for another 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 450℉ (235℃).
- Brush the breads with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and score the breads a few times across the bread, to help with the oven spring.
- Place the breads in the oven, and just before closing the oven door, splash ¼ cup water in the bottom of the oven, and quickly close the door.
- Bake the breads for 40-45 minutes until deep golden brown. Let the breads cool before slicing.