If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dreaming of flake-y butter-y scones but cringing at the fact of all the dairy involved? Think again! This recipe is vegan and wholegrain for a new twist on the teatime classic! —Sabrina
Makes 5 scones
- 150 grams whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 45 grams coconut oil
- 100 grams coconut cream
- 60 milliliters coconut milk plus more for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 220 °C/425°F. Stir together all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a seperate bowl beat together all remaining ingredients until smooth. Poor wet into dry ingredients, then lift carefully until just incorporated - do not overmix! Otherwise the scones will become denser. The mix might still be a bit crumbly.
- Pat the dough into a free form on a lightly floured working surface until about 2.5 cm/ 2/3 inch thick.
- Dip a 5cm/ 2 inch glass or a cookie cutter into flour and use it to cut the scones out of the dough. Assemble on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue as above with the remaining dough.
- Brush the top with a bit of coconut milk - be careful not to glaze the sides or otherwise the scones may not rise as beautifully.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and they can easily be lifted from the baking sheet.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes - serve plain or with whipped coconut cream and fresh strawberries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year