Author Notes: Dreaming of flake-y butter-y scones but cringing at the fact of all the dairy involved? Think again! This recipe is vegan and wholegrain for a new twist on the teatime classic! —Sabrina
Makes: 5 scones
grams whole wheat flour
tablespoon baking soda
grams coconut oil
grams coconut cream
milliliters coconut milk plus more for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 220 °C/425°F. Stir together all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a seperate bowl beat together all remaining ingredients until smooth. Poor wet into dry ingredients, then lift carefully until just incorporated - do not overmix! Otherwise the scones will become denser. The mix might still be a bit crumbly.
- Pat the dough into a free form on a lightly floured working surface until about 2.5 cm/ 2/3 inch thick.
- Dip a 5cm/ 2 inch glass or a cookie cutter into flour and use it to cut the scones out of the dough. Assemble on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue as above with the remaining dough.
- Brush the top with a bit of coconut milk - be careful not to glaze the sides or otherwise the scones may not rise as beautifully.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and they can easily be lifted from the baking sheet.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes - serve plain or with whipped coconut cream and fresh strawberries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year