If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit - Cornbread with Caramelized Apples and Onions.
Decadent cornbread with savoury sweet caramelized onions and tangy tart Pink Lady apples. —Jollia Fung
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium red- or pink-skinned apples (such as Pink Lady), thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 3 teaspoons teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cups cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 coconut milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, this is used to substitute the acidity in buttermilk (skip this ingredient if you are using buttermilk)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Melt butter and pour all but 2 Tbsp. butter into a small bowl; set aside.
- Add onion to butter in skillet on medium-high heat, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and beginning to brown, around 10 minutes.
- Add apples, 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, and 2 tsp. thyme and cook, stirring often, until apples are softened, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, and remaining 3 Tbsp. maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Gradually whisk in eggs, buttermilk, and ¾ cup reserved melted butter until smooth (no lumps should remain).
- Bake cornbread until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30–40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples