Author Notes: Use a spiralizer to make not zucchini noodles but curly fries; these are seasoned to taste like the paprika-flecked ones at Arby's, as per http://www.instructables.com/id/curly-fries/. —Ali Slagle
teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
teaspoons onion powder
teaspoons garlic powder
Canola oil, for frying
- Peel the potatoes and spiralize them on the large noodle blade of your machine.
- Break up any really long noodles into more of a fry length (or don't), then transfer them to a bowl of boiling hot water. Let them sit in the water for 15 minutes.
- In a plastic bag, combine the dry ingredients except the flour. Transfer half the mixture to a separate bowl and add the flour to the plastic bag (you'll coat the potatoes with the spice-flour mixture before and the spice mixture after they have fried). Drain the potatoes from the water (drain them well!) and, a handful at a time, gently add them to the plastic bag and shake gently so they're all covered in the coating.
- Heat about 3 inches of canola oil in a deep pan to about 350° F. When the oil is hot, fry the potatoes in batches (you don't want to crowd the pan). The fries should be crusty and brown in about 3 minutes.
- Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to get rid of excess oil. Sprinkle with spice mixture and salt and continue with the rest of the potatoes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!