If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A deliciously rich and savory stuffing for the Thanksgiving turkey. —Tulu
- 4 loaves of challah
- 2 large jars of peeled chestnuts or 5 lbs roasted chestnuts, shelled
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped small
- 6 large onions, sliced or chopped fine
- 1 stick of butter
- 14 fresh sage leaves, julienned
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground or cracked peppercorns
- 1 cup turkey stock
- Three days before the meal, cut 4 loaves of challah bread into cubes and spread out on cooking sheets to get stale
- On the morning of Thanksgiving: Melt butter in a big heavy pot, sauté onions until golden and then add celery.
- Add salt, pepper, sage, thyme and when savory, add 1/2 cup of the stock.
- Add bread cubes, the rest of the stock and mix well.
- Stuff handfuls of it loosely into the turkey and bake the rest in a casserole.
More Great Recipes: Side Dishes