Author Notes: Fall flavored recipe featuring roasted pumpkin and creamy coconut. —Joanie Simon
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground cardamom
cups low sodium vegetable broth
ounces can coconut milk
- Start by preheating your oven to 425F.
- Next, using a hefty sharp knife, halve your pumpkin and scoop out gunk inside.
- Then, rub both halves liberally with olive oil and place them cut-side down on a baking sheet.
- Next, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in your chopped leeks, carrots and garlic. Saute stirring regularly until the leeks are softened.
- Then, add in the ginger, cardamom and 4 cups of veggie stock.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes to let all of the flavors mingle and the vegetables soften.
- Next, scoop out the insides of the pumpkins after roasting is done and add to the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add in the coconut milk and 1 tsp of ponzu.
- Next, if you have a stick blender, blend the entire contents of the pot until silky smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, add everything to a standard blender, blend until smooth and return to the pot. Once the soup is smooth, if it's too thick add in water by the ¼ cup until you get a desired consistency.
- Add salt to your taste level and maintain over low heat until ready to serve.
- Optional garnishes include smoked paprika, high quality olive oil and parsley.