If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A boneless chicken stuffed inside a boneless turkey with two layers of a homemade cornbread sausage stuffing. —Karrie / Tasty Ever After
- FOR THE TURCHICKEN:
- 15-18 pounds whole turkey, deboned, skin on, wings and legs intact
- 5-6 pounds whole chicken, deboned and skin removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- various dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage), optional
- FOR THE CORNBREAD SAUSAGE STUFFING:
- 16 slices of day-old bread, torn or cubed
- 8 inch square pan day-old corn bread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces package celery hearts, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- freshly ground pepper
- 16 ounces pork breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325. Set aside the turkey and chicken. Melt 1 stick of butter in saucepan or microwave. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE STUFFING: Place breads in large mixing bowl. Melt 1 stick of butter in large pan over medium heat. Saute celery, onions, and sage together until vegetables are cooked through. Add pepper. Transfer to mixing bowl with breads. Add sausage to pan and break it up with a spoon as it browns lightly. Add to bowl with bread/vegetable mixture and mix all together thoroughly, adding chicken broth if needed to moisten.
- TO MAKE TURCHICKEN: Place deboned turkey skin side down on large cutting board surface. Spread ⅔ of stuffing on top of meat side of turkey. Place skinless, deboned chicken on top of stuffing, season chicken meat with salt and pepper, and spread with the remaining stuffing. Fold the sides of the turkey together so the chicken remains inside and begin trussing turkey starting at neck and moving down to tail. Tie to all together to resemble a whole turkey.
- Place in large roasting pan on a rack or without a rack. Pour melted butter all over turkey surface. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with dried herbs, if desired.
- Place in oven, on lower rack, and roast 3.5-4 hrs, basting every 45 minute. Roast until middle of the turchicken registers 165.
- Remove turchicken from oven, tent with foil, and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice turchicken across the body to get whole slices containing turkey, chicken, and stuffing.
- Make gravy with the pan drippings and pour it all over your turchicken slices. Eat until your tummy hurts! Enjoy the best leftovers of your life the next day too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe