If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 6 hand pies
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, minced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes or diced cooked potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- FOR THE PIE DOUGH:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small chunks
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- FOR THE EGG WASH:
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tb water
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- FOR PIE DOUGH: Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Cut shortening and butter into flour mixture using hands or pastry cutter until there are small pieces of the shortening and butter throughout. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add egg. Gently mix the egg into the flour using your hands, gradually adding water as needed, until dough comes together and is still soft but not sticky. Form into a large ball, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside.
- FOR FILLING: Place olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions, peas, curry powder, and cumin for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in turkey, potatoes, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE PIES: Uncover dough and divide into 6 balls of equal size. Take one ball, keeping the rest covered to prevent from drying out, and roll out into a ¼" thick, 5" circle. Fill the circle with about ½ cup turkey mixture and fold over top to make half circle. Lightly press down on the top to press out any air inside and fold/crimp the edges to seal together. Place pie on baking sheet and repeat process with remaining dough balls.
- Lightly brush the tops of pies with egg wash mixture. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- The hand pies can be frozen before baking. Place pies on lined baking sheet and place in freezer until frozen, then store in freezer proof bags. Bake at 375 from frozen for 20-25 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe