If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Another recipe I made up for my vegan son-in-law, who's partial to squash. —louisez
- 4 medium delicata squash
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 small dashes cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- solids from one can coconut milk (chill can to make separating solids easier)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Remove stem and blossom ends from squash. Cut in half horizontally, then in half again. Remove seeds and fibers, reserving seeds. Cut each piece of squash in half again. Place on silpat-lined cookie sheet and roast at 350 degrees about one hour, or till tender. Cool. Remove peel and set aside.
- Clean seeds thoroughly. Rinse well and drain. Set out on a towel or paper towels to dry. When dry, roast at 300 degrees till browned, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Cool and set aside. You can season seeds to taste with a little salt and cayenne before roasting, if you wish.
- In large saute pan, combine garlic and onions and half the broth. Cook till onions are translucent. Add rest of ingredients cayenne, nutmeg, salt, nutritional yeast, and squash as well as rest of broth. Cook a few minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Simmer on low heat 5 minutes. Add coconut milk solids and simmer five minutes. Serve with whole wheat pasta or pasta of choice, with squash seeds to top, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe
More Great Recipes: Entrees