Author Notes: My mother, who is now 96, was an elementary school teacher. This recipe was given to her by the mother of one of her students over fifty years ago, and we've been baking these wonderful Greek cookies ever since. —louisez
cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
tablespoons confectioners' sugar
tablespoons brandy or scotch
teaspoon baking powder
egg yolks, lightly beaten
more confectioners' sugar, to coat cookies
- Cream butter till very light. Beat in sugar, egg yolks, and brandy or scotch.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and carefully blend into butter mixture.
- Roll into balls about the size of a quarter. Place on cookie sheets lined with silpats. Stick a whole clove into the center of each cookie. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven till browned on bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on cookie sheets about 10 minutes. Remove and discard cloves. Roll cookies in confectioners' sugar and sift additional confectioners' sugar on top. Cool completely before storing. These freeze well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie from Anywhere in the World
More Great Recipes: