Author Notes: I usually buy the leanest cuts of pork like pork loin. So my recipes usually involve olive oil; olive oil adding "fat" to the meat. Since pork shoulder comes with lots of its own fat, I decided to design a recipe which adds flavor without adding more fat. My garden is laden with oranges and blood oranges. I also used an orange licquor and good quality orange marmalade to give the basting sauce a little sweetness and I used some hot red peppers for a little kick. Coffee adds a little bitterness with a mocha finish. —dymnyno
Serves: 1 5 pound pork shoulder roast
1 5 pound pork shoulder roast (bone in)
1 tablespoon instant expresso coffee
3 whole dried red chile peppers (1 1/2 " long) The extensive cooking dulls the high heat of the peppers.
4 whole peeled garlic cloves
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
1 tablespoon orange licquer(I used Cointreau)
1/2 cup blood orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- THE LACQUER: In a mortor add sea salt, coffee, peppers, and garlic and make a paste using a pestle.
- Add the tarragon and continue to blend into the paste with the pestle.
- Add the orange marmalade, orange licquor and orange juice to the paste and blend with the pestle.
- THE PIG: Score the fat side both directions through the fat but not into the flesh.
- Then, paint the lacquer (using a pastry brush or paint brush) over the entire roast.
- Place on a wire roast holder or cake rack fat side up and place in a large roasting pan.
- Place the roast in a oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Re apply the lacquer every 40 minutes.
- After 2 hours, tent the roast with a piece of tinfoil. (just the top, not the sides of the roast) You must tent before this time if the meat is becoming too browned.
- After 5 hours I checked the temperature of the roast (170 degrees) and removed it from the oven.
- Let the roast rest for 10 to 15 minutes.Then serve. The only condiment I used is fresh chopped tarragon sprinkled over the meat and a little sea salt.
- THE PARTICULARS: I roasted the pork in a vaulted gas La Cornue oven, I used Medaglia D' Oro coffee, Bonne Maman orange marmalade and Cointreau orange licquor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roasted Pork Shoulder