Author Notes: Chow-Chow is a big food memory for me. Some people call this pickled cabbage relish Picallilli, for some reason, perhaps to distinguish it from the dog. I liked it best on pinto beans as a kid, and never even thought about making it myself or eating it on anything other than beans. Until recently, when it popped into my head along with thoughts of fatty roasted pork shoulder. I decided to make a non-canned, refrigerator pickle version. A big spoonful of this on a pile of the shredded meat is crazy. —ENunn
- 3 cups roughly chopped red cabbage, 1/2 medium head
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dash cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed but intact
- Separately, steam cabbage then peppers until tender but still very crisp. Combine with fennel and onion.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil; stir in remaining ingredients. Remove from heat and stir into vegetables. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment