If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my collection of old (pre Julia Child) cookbooks I have a copy of the Gourmet OLD VIENNA from 1959. As you might expect it includes a lot of elegant pastry dishes. Among the cookie selections I found one called Friedenstauben or “Doves of Peace)”. Because it’s pre-JC the ingredients are included in the recipe steps. I like that as it gives me more freedom to tinker around. But to fit the modern format I’ve put my ingredients in order. And a nod to Jonathan Richman too. —pierino
cup butter softened
cup bakers sugar
pinch of salt
teaspoon almond extract
teaspoon vanilla essence (or substitute vanilla extract)
Marcona almond slices for decoration
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together with the salt
- Add yolk and extracts and work into a smooth dough. Finish by hand (chill dough if necessary)
- Choose your pastry cutter and cut out your cookies
- Press a single almond slice into each cookie
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 8 minutes
- Dust with sugar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie from Anywhere in the World