If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Better than the sum of its parts because 1. the bagel gets griddled 2. one bagel feeds two people 3. it's a toad in a hole. —Ali Slagle
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut the bagel in half. If the hole isn't very big—ie, you can't imagine a yolk fitting in it—tear out some of the bagel around it. You could also use a biscuit cutter or cup to cut out a perfectly round center.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Place the bagel, inside down, on the skillet.
- Crack one egg into a little bowl (or a container with a spout) and gently transfer the egg to the middle of the bagel. It might run out a bit; that's okay. Season the egg with salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and let the toad cook for about 3 minutes, or until the egg is done to your liking. Using a spatula, transfer it to a plate and repeat with the other bagel half.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!