If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My version of the Perfect Chewy Brown Sugar cookie starts out with a lot of butter, and a lot of brown sugar for that deep, caramel-like flavor. There’s bread flour too, which contains more gluten than regular all-purpose flour, for extra chewiness. This cookie has a touch of demerara sugar and vanilla salt sprinkled over top for a salty crunch. A soft, yielding middle. A golden brown bottom. A bit of crispness to the edge. It's sublime with frosty glass of milk. This recipe is a staple in our household.
I hope you like these as much as I do. —thecookbookchronicles
Food52 Review: These are a nice, salted caramel-esque cookie. The vanilla gives them a wonderful scent. They spread out to be a very thin, super chewy cookie. The bottom is crispy while the inside is chewy and dense. The complex brown sugar flavor is cut nicely by the salt in the cookie and on top. Worth noting: they make a great sandwich with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. - Stephanie —The Editors
cups unsalted butter
cup granulated sugar
cup demerara sugar (or light brown sugar)
cups dark brown sugar
teaspoons vanilla extract
cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. bread flour
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoons vanilla salt, or kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract, the flours, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. On low speed, beat the mixture until the dry ingredients are well-incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a Silpat. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll it until it forms a sphere between your palms. Place the dough on the baking sheet (8 cookies per sheet), giving them room to spread. Dust the tops of each ball of dough with a little demerara sugar, and a tiny bit of fleur de sel or vanilla salt.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. (Do not bake these on the bottom rack in the oven–the high proportion of brown sugar will cause the bottoms to darken too much.) At this time, the cookies should have taken on a golden brown color all around the edge, but still look very soft in the center–like hot cookie dough. Remove the tray from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool directly on the tray for 10 minutes before eating.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie