If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Classic pumpkin tarts made dairy- and refined sugar-free. —Sophie - Wholehearted Eats
For the vegan pastry:
- 1 1/8 cups sifted or whole spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or vegan shorting
- 1/2 cup Ice Water
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
For the pumpkin filling:
- 1 can/ 398 milliliters pumpkin purée
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choosing (vegan or dairy)
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, and sugar to combine.
- Add the cold coconut oil. Mix the vinegar with the water and slowly add a tablespoon at a time, just until the mixture holds together when lightly squeezed.
- Flatten the dough into a disk (you may need to knead it a bit), and wrap in cling film, and chill for a couple of hours.
- Once chilled, take out the dough and let soften up for a couple of minutes. Preheat the oven to 350° F. I like to work in small batches, so I divided mine in half and rolled each half about an 1/8 inch (.30 centimeter) thick. I used a small bowl to cut out 5-inch (12-centimeter) circles, but anything around that size will do.
- Press into a muffin pan, and using a fork, poke a few holes in the bottom of the tart. Chill until firm. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- For the pumpkin filling, mix all the ingredients together with a whisk until smooth.
- Add pumpkin filling to the pre-baked shells, and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until the filling is set but still jiggles.