If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had a version of this salad at a brunch my daughter's mother-in-law and I hosted for her for her college graduation. Loved it, and have tinkered with it until it's reached this particular evolution. It's a great side to a casual summer dinner featuring something grilled, and served on the back deck. It also lends itself well to all sorts of modifications, depending on what fresh fruit is available, but this is one I keep going back to. —Kayb
pounds asparagus spears
tablespoons olive oil, divided
cup diced cantaloupe
cup diced honeydew
cup watermelon balls (drained)
cup diced fresh mozzarella
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
cup grated parmegiano
- Rinse asparagus and snap off bottoms of spears. Peel bottoms of spears if needed. Put on foil lined cookie sheet, drizzle with 2 tbsp. of olive oil, and roast at 450 for about 8 minutes, until crisp tender. Remove to a large oval platter, arranging with tips pointing toward both ends; set aside.
- Using a small melon baller, scoop out a cup of watermelon balls. Put in a colander to drain while dicing the remainder of the melon and the mozzarella.
- Whisk together in a large mixing bowl the remaining olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Add in the fruit and diced cheese, and toss lightly to combine. Spread or mound fruit on top of asparagus. Sprinkle grated parm over the top.
- Depending on season, substitute diced ripe peaches, cherries and blackberries. Add a teaspoon of sugar to the dressing to make up for the tartness of the cherries and blackberries. I have also substituted lemon or lime juice for the balsamic vinegar, depending on the fruit and what it's accompanying.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe