Baklava—Oh Sweet Day!
Makes: 36 squares
cup granulated sugar
tablespoons lemon juice
packet 16 oz phyllo pastry
cup unsalted butter, melted
cups walnut, roughly chopped
teaspoon ground cinnamon
In This Recipe
- To make the syrup, combine sugar, water, honey and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat or until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low and cook without stirring for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Trim phyllo dough to fit the baking pan. (I cut my pastry dough in half vertically, so each sheet fitted my pan perfectly. And I had 48 sheets after cutting.)
- Place one phyllo sheet in the prepared pan and lightly brush with butter. Repeat with 9 more sheets until you have 10 sheets in the pan.
- Mix walnuts and cinnamon. Spread 1 cup of the nut mixture on the butter sheets.
- Repeat 2 more times. And finish with 10 buttered sheets.
- The order is: 10 sheets / 1 cup nuts / 10 sheets / 1 cup nuts / 10 sheets / 1 cup nuts / 10 sheets
- Use a sharp knife to cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let it sit for 4 to 6 hours or even overnight uncovered at room temperature. This helps the syrup to penetrate the layers.