If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crunchy sourdough is topped with a smoky & smooth tomato sauce then baked in the oven with an egg on top. Crème fraîche to finish and it's well on its way to being one of your new favorite breakfast recipes. —One Happy Place
Makes 2 toasts
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon exta-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the toast & toppings:
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- Crème fraîche, to tast
- Italian parsley, roughly chopped to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. After a minute, add diced onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, sugar, and spices. Lower heat and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finish the tomato sauce. Using caution, pour sauce into a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth--be careful of escaping steam!
- Make skillet toast. In a heavy-bottomed (and oven-safe) skillet (cast iron is perfect, if you have it!) melt the butter over low heat. Once butter is melted, place pieces of bread into skillet and allow it to crisp up on the first side, approximately 2 minutes.
- Top the toasts. With the crisped bread side up (and the not crisp at all side down!) spoon over a healthy portion of the tomato sauce onto each piece of bread. Make a little well in the sauce and crack an egg into that well. It's okay if some of the raw egg falls over the side! Just be sure to keep the yolk and most of the egg white snuggled on top of the toast. Repeat for the second toast.
- Finish in the oven. Carefully (and slowly) transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until egg whites are just set.
- Garnish. Top your toasts with your fresh herbs, crème fraîche, and a sprinkle of kosher salt to taste.