If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our Butternut Squash Pasta sauce is a little sweet and savory with just a hint of spice. It is delicious on pasta as well as on quinoa. We love to use coconut milk in recipes and used it here - it does not taste like coconut, but adds a rich creaminess to the sauce. This recipe is vegan and gluten free. Follow our fun food journey at www.kitchen-twins.com. —Kitchen Twins
large butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
tablespoons olive oil (2 tablespoons for roasting the squash and 1 tablespoon to sauté the onion)
medium yellow onion, chopped
can full fat coconut milk
cup plain almond milk
teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon for roasting squash and 1/4 teaspoon to add to the sauce)
teaspoon black pepper
dash red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Put squash on a sheet pan and coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper (you can use parchment paper so it doesn’t stick).
- Arrange squash on one layer and roast for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about 7 minutes so it just starts to caramelize then add in coconut milk, almond milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a dash of red pepper flakes. Stir on low heat for about 5 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
- When squash is done, let cool for a few minutes.
- In a food processor add the squash and purée. Add saucepan ingredients to the processor and purée with the squash (you can also use an immersion mixer).
- Add sauce back into saucepan and reheat on low until ready to serve.
- Add sauce to your favorite pasta or quinoa.