If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Brown Sugar Pumpkin Galette. A modern riff on pumpkin pie. There’s less sugar, so the bright pumpkin flavor really shines through. And the subtly herbaceous Bay Ice Cream will be the star of your Thanksgiving table! (P.S. The ice cream’s great on apple pie, too.) —Olaiya Land | Milly's Kitchen
- 1/2 Recipe, Easy Gallete Dough (see millys-kitchen.com for recipe)
- 1 Baking pumpkin (small, about 1 1/2 pounds), halved, seeded, peeled and sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1/2 Vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/16 teaspoon Ground allspice (a pinch)
- 1/16 teaspoon Ground cloves (a pinch)
- 1/16 teaspoon Ground cinnamon (a pinch)
- 1 1/2 ounces Butter (3 tablespoons), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon Sanding sugar (demerara, turbinado, or even plain old granulated sugar will work, too)
- Bay Ice Cream, to serve (see millys-kitchen.com for recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Note: You can use any winter squash in this recipe. You might want to add a bit more or less sugar depending on which squash you choose (butternut and acorn are sweeter, kabocha is more savory, etc.). Cook times will vary depending on the variety of squash and how thickly it's sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll out one disk of dough on a lightly floured work surface into a ¼-inch-thick round or oval. Transfer the dough to the sheet pan. Arrange the pumpkin over the dough, overlapping the slices slightly and leaving a 1 ½-inch border. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. (This keeps the dough from slumping when you bake your galette.)
- Use a paring knife to halve the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds out. Place the vanilla seeds in a small bowl with the granulated sugar. Use your fingers to rub the vanilla into the sugar; this will keep it from clumping. Transfer the vanilla sugar to a medium bowl and add the brown sugar, salt and spices. Whisk to combine then rub the butter and rum into the sugar mixture.
- Remove the galette from the freezer. Crumble the brown sugar mixture over the sliced pumpkin. Fold the dough over the pumpkin and lightly brush the edges of the galette with milk or cream. then sprinkle with the sanding sugar. Bake, rotating the galette as necessary for even browning, until the crust is golden brown and the pumpkin is cooked through, about 60 minutes. Cool slightly before slicing and serving with Bay Ice Cream.