If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This protein- and flavor-packed lifesaver of a salad comes together in 20 minutes and gets better as it sits—the caramelized onions, the deep spices, and the bright lemon and cilantro cozying together with the chickpeas. From Joan's on Third in Los Angeles, who has so many good salads (I will get that Chinese Chicken Salad recipe one day!). —Ali Slagle
Serves 4 (about 3 cups of salad)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- In a large sauté pan heated over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, cilantro, and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover, and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!