Author Notes: The sweet and salty combination of figs and prosciutto is perfection. Fresh basil balances out the richness, and creamy goat cheese is complemented by grilled bread. It's one heck of a sandwich. —Sarah Hauser
Makes: 1 sandwich
fresh figs, stems removed and sliced
ounces goat cheese
fresh basil leaves
slices good quality white bread
- Preheat a panini press or grill pan.
- Brush both sides of the two pieces of bread generously with olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Layer the goat cheese, figs, basil and prosciutto onto the bread.
- Cook in the panini press (or grill both sides on a grill pan) until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year