Author Notes: This salad is light and breezy, like a summer day -- with just a few main ingredients: lemon, Parmesan, olive oil and tender asparagus it comes together in a complex yet bright way. - coffeefoodwritergirl —coffeefoodwrite
Food52 Review: This salad was refreshing and bright, a great alternative to a typical green salad. Coffeefoodwritergirl uses a simple set of ingredients, which means that fresh, high quality components are key. It was very easy to put together and I liked that I could let it set while I prepared a roasted salmon main course. As it sits, the dressing makes the asparagus less crisp, but more flavorful. I didn't have problems shaving the tips, but did have extra 'bits' that my peeler couldn't shave down any further. I chopped those up and sauteed them with some garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, which was easily mixed in for some toothsome chunks. This recipe makes a wonderful vibrant side dish ... every bite made me happy it was springtime. - monkeymom —The Editors
1 bunch asparagus (about 30 stems) washed and tough ends removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper
- Cut tips off asparagus and reserve for another use. (Maybe the Asparagus Tips and ends with Roasted Fennel I plan to post next...)
- With a potato peeler or your favorite peeling device, shave asparagus spears, turning and shaving, turning and shaving until you have shaved as much as you can – you will have little ends and pieces left over – just reserve them with the tips for another use.
- Place in bowl with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour and up to 2 hours. The lemon juice will “cook” and tenderize the asparagus.
- Remove from fridge. Toss in shaved parmesan. Adjust for salt. Serve to plates and grind a little pepper over each one. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe