Author Notes: Adapted from a recipe I found on a Canadian cornstarch box, these delicate sugar cookies are perfect for rolling out and decorating. They have a silky, almost shortbread-like dough with a perfect snap when you bite into them. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
Makes: 30 small cookies
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 15 min
cup confectioners' sugar
cup butter, softened
cup all-purpose flour
teaspoon vanilla paste or almond extract (optional)
cup crisp rice cereal (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 300° F.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream the confectioners' sugar and the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the cornstarch and the flour and mix until the dough comes together. It will be soft and very silky.
- Add the vanilla paste OR almond extract, if using, then fold in the crisp rice cereal if using (both are totally optional but are nice ways to jazz up an otherwise very basic cookie).
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. If the dough is too soft to handle, chill it for 30 minutes first.
- Cut out cookies in any shape you like and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. If you want to decorate them, add sparkling sugar or other edible cookie toppings.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes; the cookies should be just turning light golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!