If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not like I get takeout Chinese all the time, but when I do, it usually leaves me with 2 containers of white rice that typically go in the trash. I so hate wasting food, it drives me crazy!
Recently we had takeout for dinner with a friend of mine. We ordered so much food, we had THREE containers of leftover rice! I searched for a recipe for Chicken and Rice Soup, since that sounded good to me at the moment.
I found a basic recipe and as I was cooking it, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add some spice. So, I turned to my trusty Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning (heads up, I use it for everything BUT tacos!).
I ended up with a Chicken and Rice Soup with a nice kick. It really hit the spot. And I banished my leftover white rice problem forever. —kimbaddd
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups leftover white rice
- 2 cups frozen grilled chicken breast strips, thawed, cut into bite site pieces
- Melt butter in 4- to 6-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic and taco seasoning mix. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions and carrots are a bit softened.
- Add chicken broth and water. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and carrots are tender. Stir in rice, chicken and parsley. Cook 7 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
- NOTE:If you have leftover chicken, please feel free to use that. Or, a rotisserie chicken works great too. Just remove the skin, of course!