If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe courtesy of the White House, where the Obamas frequently request it! —Food52
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup 2% or skim milk
- 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese (or a mixture of your favorite melting cheeses)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Bring salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- Steam the cauliflower until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender along with a few tablespoons of the steaming liquid. Purée the cauliflower, adding more steaming liquid to thin the purée if necessary.
- In a medium size casserole dish, combine the pasta and hot cauliflower puree. Add the milk, both cheeses, parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and breadcrumbs with your fingers until it resembles damp sand. Sprinkle across the top of the pasta mixture, then place the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes until the top is crispy and the sauce is bubbling.