If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 0.25 cups butter
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.5 cups white wine
- 1 liter homemade or good quality store-bought beef stock
- 1 liter homemade or good quality store-bought
- 0.5 cups port wine
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 cups grated gruyere or swiss cheese
- 1 loaf of country bread, sliced
- Melt butter in large pan.
- Add onions, thyme and bay leaf and cook on low heat until the onions are a deep caramel colour, approximately 40 minutes.
- Add wine and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Pour in vinegar and season to taste.
- When ready to serve, turn oven on to broil and divide the soup into individual oven proof bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with a slice of bread and half a cup of grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and broil until the cheese is golden and crispy.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a meal, accompanied with a bitter green salad.