If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by the Preserved Lemons I made last year. I wanted to finish them up, so I could make another batch with the new crop of lemons this year. Fresh herbs really make this flatbread "pop." I definitely recommend making this recipe in advance for guests. —Rachelle
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons harrisa (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika (or paprika)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, knead the mixture, until evenly distributed. Shape dough into small round balls, makes about 20 balls
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Cook lamb meatballs, until browned on all sides and cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer meatballs to paper towels to drain excess oil.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon or lemon zest (if using lemon zest use 1/4 teaspoon)
- pinches salt
- In a food processer, combine the parsley, cilantro, mint, garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin and pulse. With the machine on, gradually pour in the olive oil and puree until smooth. Add the preserved lemon and pulse once or twice. Set Aside.
- RICOTTA SPREAD: 1/2 cup sheep's milk ricotta or whole milk ricotta, 2 tablespoons of chermoula. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- HONEY FIGS: 6 whole fresh figs, cut in quarters, 1 teaspoon honey. In a bowl evenly distribute honey over figs. If the honey is too firm, place it in the microwave until syrupy, about 10 seconds.
- FLATBREAD DOUGH: Use your favorite pizza dough or ready made pizza dough from the supermarket and roll out to desired size or purchase pita bread or lavash.
- COOKING THE FLATBREAD: Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a sheet pan turned over or cast iron pan into the preheated oven. Assemble the flatbread: If using homemade or store bough pizza dough, roll out dough on parchment parchment paper in to a 14-by-7-inch round rectangle and bake for 7 minutes and proceed with recipe. If using any other type of pre-made store bought bread (see recommendations above), proceed with recipe: Spread ricotta mixture on top of dough or bread, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with the lamb meatballs and honey figs. Carefully slide parchment paper with flatbread on to the sheet pan. If using a cast iron pan, slide the flatbread off the parchment paper on to the cast iron pan. Bake until flatbread is golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Repeat if you have remaining dough or bread.
- GARNISH: Garnish flatbread with preserved lemon, chermoula, chopped mint and toasted pine nuts. Cut into desired slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year