Author Notes: These Caprese Veggie Skewers don’t involve so much cooking as assembly and presentation. Presentation takes this simple appetizer to a new level.
Find something in your house that skewers will stand in. I used a vintage pottery flower frog placed inside a retro glass bowl. You can use any kind of frog for flowers or even a drinking glass. Stand whatever you choose in a large bowl or platter and surround with tiny tomatoes.
I soak the bamboo skewers, so guests can’t get any splinters as they slide the food off. I season the mozzarella balls with basil and red pepper flakes but feel free to change the seasonings and make the recipe your own. If you have any leftovers, put them on a bed of arugula or spinach and have a truly delicious Caprese salad. —At Home with Friends
Makes: approximately 2 dozen skewers
pound tiny sugar plum tomatoes
12-oz. container fresh mozzarella balls (24 mozzarella balls)
6.5-oz. jar pitted Greek Kalamata olives
teaspoons dried basil
red pepper flakes (optional)
- Soak 6” or 10” bamboo skewers in water.
- Slice zucchini into very thin slices. Grill sliced zucchini on nonstick grill pan with no oil. This can be done several days ahead and stored in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Drain mozzarella balls from oil or liquid they are in. Toss mozzarella balls with dried basil and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- When ready to assemble, drizzle zucchini with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and dried basil.
- Cut each zucchini slice into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Assemble each skewer as to follow: tomato zucchini olive mozzarella ball zucchini tomato
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe that Cleans Out the Fridge