- Serves 12
Learn the right traditional foods to start the new year off with (and which ones to avoid). Hint: pork and napa cabbage egg rolls pack a punch of good luck! —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
What You'll Need
lean ground pork
vegetable oil (as needed)
1 1/2 cups
diced yellow onion
shredded napa cabbage*
clove minced garlic
low sodium soy sauce
egg roll wrappers
- Preheat oven to 400º F. In a large pan (I prefer cast iron), over medium high heat, brown 1 lb of lean ground pork by breaking it apart into small pieces as it cooks. Add a little vegetable oil to the pan as needed to prevent sticking, depending on how lean the meat is. Once cooked through, transfer to a covered dish for keeping while the vegetables cook. Prep the vegetables while the meat is cooking to save time.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the diced onions and shredded carrots to the pan the pork was cooked in. Cook for 3 minutes. Add a little oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add 6 cups of shredded cabbage to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the cabbage is wilted. *When cutting your cabbage, discard the white heart of the leaf and just use the green, leafy part.
- While the cabbage is cooking, whisk together the minced garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce and corn starch in a small bowl. Once the cabbage is wilted add it to the pan. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid is absorbed, and then remove the pan from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes before filling the egg rolls.
- To fill the egg rolls add 1/4 C of filling to the center of the roll, fold in one corner, lightly wet it by dipping your finger in water, and fold over a second and a third corner. Lightly wet the folded corners again, and then roll the egg roll towards the fourth corner to form a roll.**For a photo slideshow on how stuff an egg roll, see this recipe's blog post at SimpleSeasonal.com
- Place each spring roll on a lightly greased baking sheet and lightly brush each one with vegetable oil. Bake in a 400º F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served immediately with duck sauce.