If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In a twist on tradition, this chai-spiced shortbread combines spiced glaze and a dusting of pistachios for an enchanting combination of warmth and holiday cheer.
(These cookies don't contain eggs, and they can easily be made vegan by substituting Earth Balance and non-dairy milk for the butter and milk.) —arajpur
Makes 36 (with 1 3/4" cookie cutter)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
Glaze + Topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 teaspoons milk (plus a little more if needed)
- 3 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix spices together. Reserve 1/4 tsp of spice mixture for glaze.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt. Add in unreserved spice mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add in flour mixture and beat until ingredients are just combined. (Dough will still be crumbly.) Stir in 1/4 cup pistachios. With your hands, continue mixing and press dough together until it forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half. Transfer one half to lightly floured surface and press (or gently roll) into 1/4" thick rectangle. Cut with round (or other shape) cookie cutter and use a knife or spatula to place cookies about 1" apart on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on edges. Cool 2-3 minutes on cookie sheets and then carefully transfer to cooling rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla, reserved 1/4 tsp spice mixture and milk, adding a little more milk if necessary to get desired consistency (thick but spreadable).
- When cookies are cool, spread a thin layer of glaze on about half the cookie. Cover that half with chopped pistachios. Let stand until glaze/pistachios are set.